- Your child will have a sore throat and may also
complain of ear and neck pain. Acetaminophen (i.e. Tylenol, Panadol) can
be given as directed for pain. For severe pain not controlled by
acetaminophen, use the pain medication prescribed by your doctor. DO NOT
GIVE YOUR CHILD ASPIRIN, MOTRIN OR ADVIL. (IBUPROFEN)
- In addition to a severe sore throat, ear and
neck pain are common after the operation. The pain symptoms may increase
during the first 5 days after the surgery.
- Your child may consume a regular diet but
liquids and soft foods are recommended during the first week after
surgery. Avoid hot liquids, salty foods and citrus juices because they
can irritate the throat.
- Your child may have fluid come out of his/her
nose after drinking. This usually stops after 2 or 3 weeks.
- Your child will probably lose weight after the
surgery. This is common. If you are concerned about your child's
nutrition, multivitamins, Ensure or Sustacal supplements can be added to the
diet. These can be bought at your local supermarket.
- Your child may return to school and resume play activity within a week to ten days after surgery.
- Your child's voice may sound different for
several weeks after surgery.
- If you look in your child's throat, you may see
white patches. This is not a sign of infection but a scab. The
white patches go away in about three weeks.
- Bad breath is common for the first few weeks
- Your child may have a small amount of bleeding from the nose or mouth when
the scab from the operation begins to fall off. If the bleeding is
severe, lasts more than a minute or keeps recurring, call your doctor or go to
the Emergency Room of the hospital where the surgery was done.
Hector N. Hernandez,
Assignment Accepted - New Patients Welcome
Boulevard Port Charlotte, Florida 33952
© 2004 AAO-HNS/AAO-HNSF
Please read our disclaimer. Any information provided on this Web site should not be considered medical advice or a substitute for a consultation with Dr. Hector N. Hernandez or other healthcare professional. If you have a medical problem, contact us for diagnosis and treatment.